Feeling guilty for not doing enough on social media to market your business? Create a plan, execute the plan, evaluate what you did, and adjust as needed. And stop feeling guilty!
Common scenario – You have a Facebook fan page (or Instagram account or whatever) but don’t post consistently, and don’t even know what to post. (If you don’t have a fan page click here for instructions on creating one.)
10 steps to get your social media marketing on track (and stop feeling guilty):
- Brand your profile to match your website both visually (banner image and logo) and the profile descriptions.
- Link everything. Include links from your social media to your website and from your website to your social media. When applicable make your social media accounts “business” accounts. See: How to make an Instagram account a business account.
- Develop a posting schedule. You need to post regularly and consistently. This is especially important to be seen on Facebook – because of the algorithm every post isn’t visible to everyone. Learn more here.
- Think about what your target audience is interested in. Brainstorm posting ideas. Keep a notebook handy as ideas occur to you during your work day. Only promote yourself 20% of the time. The other 80% should be content interesting to your audience. Here are 100 posting ideas.
- Engage! Respond to comments from your audience. Be social!
- Observe and learn from what others post – inside and outside of your industry. Learn the etiquette of the platform you are using.
- Be creative. Visuals improve the popularity of a post. Take photos, try new things – make a short video!
- Review. Analyze the statistics of your posting to see which posts are most popular. You can even determine the most popular days/times when your audience is online. Click here to learn more about Facebook stats.
- Adjust the plan going forward. You may want to change the frequency or time of posting OR the types of content you post depending on what the stats reveal. And depending on what is sustainable for you.
- Add another social media account. When you are feel comfortable with the above consider adding a new social media tool. Repeat steps 1 – 9 with this new tool included in the process. It will be easier because you are already creating content for posting. Adjust the content to fit the new tool. Read about repurposing content here.
Interesting Link: Learn more about many of the popular social media platforms in this Business News Daily article Social Media for Business: A Marketer’s Guide.
TIP: Consider hiring someone to help with your social media marketing.
My services include:
- Developing posting content and schedules
- Designing posts (including editing photos, creating artwork, etc.)
Email me for more info!
TIP: Continue to brainstorm content ideas and add them to your list.
TIP: Create a Facebook post of the most relevant information and pin it to the top of your page. For example an art studio might do this with their schedule. (Click here to learn how to pin a post to the top of your fan page.)
TIP: Save time with your social media marketing by creating several posts at once and scheduling them out. For more info on this read “Plan, Batch, Schedule.”
Don’t feel guilty for not being on every social media platform. It’s more effective to do one well, than be on many and not do anything.